Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Monday


Tonight, as we drove home from a golf tournament for Fortress Youth Development Center, Darren surprised me with, "There's a cabinet at the auction that I think will be perfect for your scraproom. Let's go look at it." So we did. It measured 47 inches, but the space I have is only 45".

"Are you SURE it won't fit?" I asked. "I don't care if it overlaps the doorframe a little." Darren was afraid that it still would be too wide, so he sped home to measure. He called me at the auction with only 2 items to go before my piece was up for bid. "It'll work!" he exclaimed. "I was wrong. We have 48 inches, not 45!"

So I got my handy yellow card ready and started bidding, winning the cabinet for $45 less than I budgeted. YAY!!! It's not an antique piece, but it'll be functional. :) Happy Mother's Day to me! :D


When we got home, Aidan came bounding down the stairs with a big hole in his head. The tooth fairy is flat broke, having cleaned out her purse of all quarters and bills for the boys to put in the collection plate on Sunday. But DH of Tooth Fairy had a Twenty.

"How would you like a Diet Vanilla Coke from Sonic?" he asked.

Seeing as how I was gonna be up til all hours emptying out my scraproom to make room for the cabinet, I was all over that. He came home with change for the Tooth Fairy. :)

You might remember a trip I made 18 months ago to visit my dear friend Donna. Her husband wrote her story and submitted it to the Chicken Soup people. It was published last week in Chicken Soup's syndicated column, and will appear in Chicken Soup for the Scrapbooker's Soul later this year. You can read it
here. If anything good came from Donna's passing, it was that I came to know Rick in the aftermath. He's a kind, generous and sincere man. He has a delightful sense of humor and never fails to make me snicker when he writes. I'm proud to call him my friend. I can't believe it's been almost two years since we learned of Donna's illness. I still miss her witty posts and helpful advice. I miss her creative genius and her artistic take on everything. I miss Donna.

Time passes by, people pass on.
At the drop of a tear, they're gone.
Let's do what we dare, do what we like,
And love while we're here before time passes by.

(written by Jon Vezner and Susan Longaker)
(performed by Kathy Mattea)

6 comments:

Nancy D. said...

That cabinet IS perfect.

Dang. I wish we had your auction here. You get the coolest stuff!

Anonymous said...

I miss Donna too...

So how much does the tooth fairy leave at your house? Sam was completely enamoured by the golden dollar his friend got...so he gets golden dollars too now. Peer pressure...humph!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous cabinet! I'd be all over that one too.

Loving that empty smile. Isn't it cute?

That is SO COOL that your story with Donna will be a part of Chicken Soup...it touched us all over at the board, and surely will bless others when they read it. Can't wait to buy that one when it's released!

Veronica said...

Love the cabinet!!! Looks great - and yes, it is perfect :)

How cool that Aidan now has a toothless grin.

I loved reading Rick's story all over again - brought tears to my eyes all over again. Missing Donna....

Anonymous said...

I miss Donna, too. But I had to comment as you picked a Kathy Mattea lyric and I love her songs. Whenever I play "Love Travels", the kids call it "Joseph's Angel Song" instead.

Great find on the cabinet! But I miss reading your thoughts on tonight's Idol, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Is that from Broyhill? It is a perfect match to my bedroom/dining room furniture. I LOVE IT!!!!!
Great find. And how cool is Darren for running home to measure for you? What a guy!