Wednesday, June 08, 2005

You wanna peath of me??

"MOMMY! You wanna peath of me? You wanna take it out thide?"

Aidan has a sthlight lithp. Everytime he delivers the above challenge, I laugh. Sometimes he laughs along, but most of the time, he gets his feelings hurt that I'm not taking him seriously. He thinks he's being tough and scary and intimidating. At those times, he scolds me: "Mommy, I'm being THERIOUS!" The insides of my cheeks hurt from biting them. :)

He picked up the phrase last week at Fortress. While eating lunch after church, Ian kept giving two of the older boys (Steffon and Jashun, ages 7 and 8, or thereabouts) the evil eye. Their response was, "You wanna piece of me? You wanna take it outside?" Ian's only retort was a furrowed brow that grew deeper and deeper. Aidan responded with gales of laughter. They were all kidding around, and it was fun to watch. I never imagined that the words would become such a catchphrase around my house.

It carries varied meanings. Today, it meant, "I don't like that you said I can't have a Coke!" This evening, it meant, "Chase me around the house and then catch me, and then smother me with kisses until I cry Uncle!"

I can't wait to thee what it meanth tomorrow.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

Helenism for the day:

"Mommy, you're not mean anymore." --when I let her have a doughnut upon arriving home from Krispy Kreme. Wouldn't let her have one in the car because I didn't want the carseat all sticky.