Sunday, June 26, 2005

1987

I was reading Parade today, and as I do every Sunday afternoon, I turned first to "In Step With" by James Brady. Today's column was about the talented Joss Stone, the soulful 18-year old songstress from England. I was reading along, minding my own business, immensely enjoying her conversation with Mr. Brady, when out of the blue, I read, "Born: April eleventh, nineteen EIGHTY-SEVEN." I blinked to refocus my eyes. Yep, 1987. Then I looked at her photo again. Yep, she looks like a young adult. How can that be??? April 11, 1987 was mere WEEKS before my high school graduation.

This probably wouldn't have hit so hard had I not had the following conversation with my friend Jason on Friday night:

J: So. Only 4 years, and you'll be 40.
Me: Yah. But you'll be 30 sooner, right?
J: Me? Nah. I'm still a baby.
Me: How old ARE you?
J: I just turned 24.
Me: TWENTY-FOUR? So I was 12 when you were born?
J: (laughs)
Me: I could have BABYsat you. Maybe I DID babysit you!
J: (still laughing)
Me: That's wrong. That's just WRONG.

~~~~~~

In other news, Darren took me shopping yesterday for my birthday, then out to dinner at Joe's Crab Shack, where I indulged in the "33 Shrimp Platter". I had coconut shrilmp, fried shrilmp, shrilmp scampi, grilled shrilmp..... and I was too stuffed for dessert. My BIRTHDAY dinner, and I couldn't even consider a Mini Bananas Foster. I'm not liking old age much.

For those of you who are interested (if there are any of you, lol!), on my birthday shopping spree, we bought 2 pairs of capris (one black, one denim), and new white shirt, and an old French Door from Old Home Supply. We're gonna clean it up, paint it, and use it for a computer desk in the family room. Today, I went to a nude furniture place and bought a file cabinet and another piece that will serve as the base of my desk. I've already primed them and they're ready for paint. I'll post photos when I get it all put together. :)

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Overachiever. I still haven't painted Helen's bedroom.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Crab Shack.... Maybe I should do that for MY birthday.

But right now I am full of the bowl of Cap'n Crunch (regular) and I can't think of stuff like that.

Oh. And I still haven't painted EMMA'S room.....