Friday, June 10, 2005

painting, sanding, hammering. WHEW!

I attended the Great American Scrapbook Convention in Arlington today. Oh. My. I spent way too much time in BallRoom A, where all the vendors were. When one spends too much time, one also spends too much money.

I also took a couple of hands-on classes. After all, some of my clients really like the current trends, so I should try to keep abreast of new techniques, don't you think? Especially if it means I can expense it. :)

I learned about the wonders of walnut ink (made from crushed walnut shells). I actually sanded and distressed a piece of paper, something I've always thought was a silly idea. (Turns out, I like the end result.) I painted, hinged, hammered, sanded, punched, stamped, and generally had a great time! At one point, with craft paint and walnut ink all over my fingers, I said to Sherilyn, "This feels like Kindergarten!" Tomorrow, we get to do it all over again. Yay!

The two of us seldom get to see each other, so last night, we stayed awake until 5:30 talking. Then we had to get up at 7:45. We vowed that we'd go to bed at a reasonable hour tonight, but here it is 2 a.m. already. Our first class starts in 6 hours. AYE YAI YAI!

Before we left BallRoom A this afternoon, I said to Sherilyn, "DO NOT let me come in here tomorrow." But alas, my daughter has given me a shopping list. She wants to be paid for today's babysitting in scrapbook product.

Oh no, Dani. Anything but that! Don't make me go back in there. I might buy something outrageous like a scrapbook made from an old license plate or something. I might succomb to the seductive aroma of the VersaMark ink pads. I could possibly fall prey to the 15 or so Sizzix dies that tried to seduce me today. What if I get sucked in by the $10-per-cup-brads-and-eyelets-buffet again??

But, a brave Mother I must be. I must face the corridors of BallRoom A after all. I must enter each vendor's booth with my debit card in hand and a smile on my face. After all, I am a good Mother, and I shall not let Dani down!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to have found your blog! What a release it must be for you to be writing again...It is therapeutic in so many ways. You are a gifted writer. Your entries are full of sincerity, humor and an obvious love for your family and close friends. Thank you also for checking our sam's blog...We so appreciate your prayers! Melissa