Friday, October 13, 2006

word nerds

We are a family of word nerds. You don't know how PROUD that makes me! :D

Tonight at dinner, we sat around calling out words for Aidan to sound out and spell. Even Ian got into it and finished spelling words when Aidan took too long. Afterwards, Dani and Aidan settled down to do some homework. DANI's homework. For one of her English classes, she had to write and illustrate a children's book. She wrote it, and told Aidan what to draw. I loved watching them work together. Aidan couldn't WAIT to help his Sissy write a book; they'd been talking about it and planning it all week.





For Aidan, Ian and Brianna's bedtime story, Dani read "Thomas and the Giraffe". :)

Darren is my biggest blog champion. He encourages me to write daily, and always has. Everytime I write something really personal or honest, I wake up the next morning saying, "Oh NO. Did I really blog that? I need to go delete it....". But Darren always talks me into letting it stay. (And I'm always glad later.) He checks my blog every morning, and though he doesn't often leave public comments, he almost always calls me from work to chat about what I've written. I love him for championing me.

Yesterday, when he walked in the door, he said, "You'll never believe what I did today." I couldn't imagine. I've learned that Darren CAN surprise me, so I really didn't know what to begin guessing. "I started a blog!" he said with a grin.

"YOU???" I laughed.

He was right. I couldn't believe it. Darren is an intensely private guy. (Which is why I'm always so surprised that he's okay with the things I blog about. I guess I shouldn't be. He got used to my diarrhea of the mouth a long time ago.) He's very shy and doesn't easily open up to people. So a blog? Yah. That's a big deal. It's so unlike him.

Or so I thought until I read the first entry. No. I was wrong. This is JUST like Darren. He isn't writing it for him. I mean, he IS. But he's just as honestly writing it for others. He hopes that his sincerity about his struggles and joys will encourage others who are on a similar path. He asks his readers to hold him accountable. I will do that for him. Check in on him occasionally. He'd be honored. :)

No comments: