Friday, February 09, 2007

ME? You talkin' to ME?

I was at the post office today, standing in line with both of my boys in tow. Aidan was clowning around, rolling around on the floor, trying to crawl between my legs.... After asking him twice to settle down, I finally put my stern Mommy voice in place and said, "AIDAN. ACT LIKE A SIX-YEAR OLD." Then I giggled and said, "oh. You ARE acting like a 6-year old. I want you to act like a CALM six-year old." I heard a couple of snickers from people in line behind me. Aidan straightened up immediately.

Then, I felt a tap on my back. I turned around to face an old woman. I swear... she must've been 85. Chiffon scarf wrapped around her head. Decades-old fur-trimmed plaid coat. Lipstick that didn't follow the outline of her lips. She put her hand on my forearm and said, "Your boys are just fine. And they have a beautiful Mother."

I swear, I thought I was gonna cry right there. Me? BEAUTIFUL?

The very, very weird thing about that is, as I was blowing my hair dry this afternoon, I caught a glimpse of myself and actually thought, "I look pretty today." I dismissed the thought immediately, because... well, you know. It felt weird to think it. I don't usually think of myself that way. But once in a blue moon, I see something in myself....

and then this woman confirmed it at the post office.

My blog header says "You don't love a woman because she is beautiful. She is beautiful because you love her." I think there is so much truth in that. Today, I must be loved beyond measure.

4 comments:

Martha in CA said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again YOU ARE THE BEST!!! I'm truly blessed to have you in my life!

MUAH!!

CyndiAKADisneyqueen said...

Ok Stacy...you and I have never met, but I have seen pictures of you, talked to you on-line....even I know that you are beautiful on the inside as well as the outside. Tonight I went to a banquet and the speaker talked about looking in the mirror and saying to yourself that you are beautiful. She asked a group of teenage girls to look in the mirror and affirm positive thoughts about themselves. She said they didn't know how to. So she taught them by doing it herself. She told us to try it......even if it seems foreign ....How can we express love for others, share with them the importance of good self-esteem, see the beauty inside and on the outside of themselves... if we don't first love ourselves?

Anonymous said...

You ARE beautiful! Never forget it!

Anonymous said...

You *ARE* beautiful!!
AND you are loved more than you'll ever know -- near and far!!
Wonderful blog, Stacy.
Thank you!!