Saturday, January 06, 2007

Night Owl

For as long as I can remember, I've been a night owl. I come alive around 8 o'clock at night, and I don't like to slow down after that. If a project's to get started, or a chore's to get done, late evening is when I'll start feeling inspired. Tonight, for instance, we watched a movie after dinner. After that, I helped Bobbie burn a couple of CDs, and after THAT, I undecorated the Christmas tree and packed it all away.

Several nights ago, around 10, I finally felt inspired to start working on a small job that had been sitting on my desk for a week. I dove in and worked all night, finishing the job at 7 the next morning. I wanted to stay up all day, but I just couldn't do it. I slept for 90 minutes late that morning, and only woke up because I had a lunch date that I didn't want to miss. I arrived at lunch looking like Death on a Cracker.

The problem with my night owl tendencies is this: I'm getting old. I can't do it like I used to. In the good ol' days, I could go all night and through the next day with no problems. NOW, I can go all night, but by mid-morning the next day, I'm swervy.

The other morning, as I sat at my desk and watched the sun rise over the houses behind me, I thought, "This morning gig is pretty cool. I should start getting up early." I made breakfast, greeted Darren and Bobbie when they came down the stairs, surprised the kids when they woke up and discovered that I was human already. I actually thought I might be able to change, and planned to hit the sack early in anticipation of an early morning.

Ha. It didn't work. Late the next night, I got all inspired again. Finished some personal layouts, blogged at Scrapropos, organized some scrap stuff, answered some forgotten emails. Before I knew it, it was 3 a.m.

In high school and college, my best schoolwork was always done at the last minute and late at night. As an adult, my most creative inspirations occur after everyone else on the block is fast asleep. Sometimes, if I go to bed too early, I'll just lie there while visions of layouts and decorating ideas and fundraising events flash through my head. I can't seem to shut it off.

But I must learn to. Because on Monday, the kids go back to school, my life falls back into a morning routine, and I've been noticing in my little magnifying mirror that I have NOT-SO-FINE LINES AND WRINKLES around my eyes and mouth.

Word to the Mommas. This just will not do!
I've never been much on "beauty sleep", but friends, the time has come. I may have to get Darren to bonk me over the head with a 2x4 or somethin', just to knock me out.

I'm heading up to bed. I just hope nothin' shiny distracts me on the way.

2 comments:

Yvonne, Tonya, and Erica said...

Are you sure we aren't related somewhere? I read your posts it sounds just like me. Up til 3 am because I just "wake up" at 8 pm everynight!

tosin said...

HA HA HA!!!
Check out my blogaroo, cause I think we're on the same page!
I was JUST saying the same thing!

Maybe we can impose a curfew on each other or something.
(Ha again! We both know how THAT is going to turn out!)