Friday, July 29, 2005

There's magic in them there cliffs

Thursday, July 28
late evening
Cliffs of Moher, County Clare, Ireland

Once back on the mainland of Ireland, we headed south along the coast, over the Burren, and on to the Cliffs of Moher. This was what I'd been saving my ankle for. We climbed the hill, reaching the summit and viewing the cliffs just as the sun dipped below the clouds and cast an amber glow on their face. It was breathtaking. I stood there, dead in my tracks, and uttered, "Oh my gosh. Oh my. Freaking. Gosh." I'm so eloquent when overcome by awe, aren't I?


We lingered for an hour or so, watching the sun sink lower and lower in the sky. Finally, at 9:00, we began our descent back to the car. While at the cliffs, I had a miraculous healing! In my awe, I'd forgotten that my foot was injured, and I set off at a trot. With the first step, as my foot came crashing down on the limestone, I went down on my knees, catching myself with my hands. My foot popped, and the pain was unbelievable. Then it stopped. Halfway back to the car, I realized that I was barely limping anymore. Right now (24 hours later), it's still swollen, and I can "feel" it, but I can't really say that it hurts. :)

2 comments:

Sue said...

Forget the ankle, I'm smelling CHRISTMAS CARD! That shot is gorgeous, and you all look good so happy!

Seriously, though...hope the pain is gone for good.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture. Loving the travel diary. Amazed at your bravery.....not the hike with the bad ankle, the dressing of 5 people in white shirts for the day.