Friday, July 29, 2005

I wanna be Irish

Thursday, July 28
later evening
Lisdoonverna, County Clare, Ireland

At 9:30, we stopped at a hotel/restuarant that advertised "the best live music in County Clare", and enjoyed a late dinner to the tune of Irish airs and jigs. One of the songs the trio performed was John Denver's "Country Roads." When it was over, I had tears dripping from my cheeks. I thought I was hiding them well, but Dani noticed, burst into gales of laughter, and announced to half the restaurant, "Mom!! Are you CRYING????" I couldn't help it, really. I was singin' along with the best of 'em until this verse:

"I hear her voice
In the mornin’ hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin’ down the road I get a feelin’
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads"

I'm happy to be here, I really am. I'm in no way ready to leave. But something about those lyrics made me long for home. I was reminded how much I truly love my homeland.

Speakin' of lovin' yer homeland. I wish you could witness firsthand the complete and utter LOVE these Irish people have for their country and all things Irish. They sing about all of it. They sing about the rivers, the glens, the sky, the sea, the mountains, the rivers some more, and mostly, they sing about the whiskey. EVERYone sings. People who sing BADLY sing. No one cares. And they all clap along. They ALL know when to clap and how MANY claps to clap. They all sway to the music, in unison. Maybe it's the whiskey. Or maybe they're just a happy people. Makes me wanna be Irish!

"ELAINE, the main female singer reminded me and Darren of you!! She not only looked a little like you, but she SOUNDED like you. And her manorisms were you all over. It was so cool. I wished that I had my cell phone on me. I'd have called you and said, "Here, talk to this chick. I think you might be twins." You'll be happy to know that she had a beautiful voice. :)

We stayed at a B&B in the town of Lisdoonvarna that night. Actually, we stayed at 2 B&B's. We couldn't find one that could accomodate all six of us on such short notice, so we split our group between two homes that were serendipitously located just across the street from each other. The original plan was for the boys to sleep in one room with me and Darren, and for Grandma and Dani to share another room. But it worked out best for the boys AND Dani to stay with Grandma, which meant that Darren and I had a night to ourselves. We spent it by staying an extra hour at the bar, enjoying the session.

1 comment:

Sherilyn said...

LOL!!! One thing about Europeans...they love to sing. Corey and I used to hear groups of Dutch guys walking down the streets below our apartment windows, just singing along....probably about futbol. ;) Something you would NEVER see or hear in the States! Pub singing is a very common pasttime in many parts of Europe. I think that is one thing about life there that you would relly love. :D

I've been waiting anxiously for days for updates and today when I checked, there were four waiting for me. Wonder why it took them so long to show for me?