Tuesday, July 26, 2005

9 hours in London

We’re connected!! WOO HOO!! Darren assures me that this is only temporary, and not to get too excited. We’ll see how far I get. J

SATURDAY, JULY 23
Dani and I celebrated her 14th birthday in London. From Heathrow, we took the Express train to Paddington Station in central London. I tried to take pictures there, but a security guard told me I was not allowed. At Paddington, we quickly discovered that like it or not, we’d be better off taking the Underground everywhere, so we bought all day passes and braved the Tube. Several of the lines were closed, so navigating the system was a bit slow and confusing at first. But soon, we felt right at home hopping on and off the trains and "minding the gap".

Dani decided that she wanted to see Madame Tussaud’s. We had a ball there, and I even got to laugh with the Beatles!

We took a hop on-hop off bus tour and enjoyed it immensely. From the upper deck, we saw everything we wanted to see, and hopped off to spend more time at several sites. I found the perfect red phone booth photo op near Big Ben. I also found an original watercolor to add to my collection (for only 15 pounds!), and Dani bought souvenirs as well. Bobbie, I got the coffee cup you requested!

We were awake for 17 hours that day, and much of it was spent walking. (I swear…. Most of it was inside Heathrow!!) By the time we arrived back in Dublin, we were exhausted, but still hyped up from the excitement of the day. Dani fell in love with London and says she will do a semester of college there. Mother Nature was very kind....it only rained when we were inside Madame Tussaud's.

Bobbie, please call Mom and tell her that we survived in London. She was worried sick about us going.

Love to all! (And thanks, Andrew, for blogging for me. Funny how this connection sprang to life after we spoke tonight, isn't it??)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I was a little on the edge of my seat waiting to hear from you. I will call mom first thing in the morning. THANKYOU for finding "the" mug for me. I cannot wait to see it. I got the border..YEAH!!! DANI, happy belated birthday. How cool is it to have spent your 14th birthday in London. You lucky dog you. By the way, who has the cat? Brianna said to tell Aidan she misses him and cannot wait to see him in a few months. Love you guys. Bobbie

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from y'all!

I know y'all are having the time of your lives. Happy belated B-day Dani, I know you'll never forget this one *Ü*

Have fun & stay safe,
Deb

Sherilyn said...

I've been haunting this place looking for updares. :D Glad you had a great time in London and hope you can get connected regularly from here on out.

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad to hear you had a great time in London. It's wonderful to see your smiling face. I'm sure this was a birthday celebration to be remembered always by Dani. Happy birthday, Dani.