Monday, May 21, 2007

you can quote me

I love quotes. i have them painted on my walls, plastered on my scrapbook layouts, and tucked into frames around my house. I even have a little Moleskine that I write 'em down in as I come across them. (I blogged about it here.)

Recently, I've come across some good ones, and I'm amazed at how timely they are. I mean, each one of them totally works with stuff I have going on in my life right now. Isn't that the way it is, though? You never notice how many red Xterras are on the road until you're driving one yourself, and then you see them everywhere. Same with quotes. I probably wouldn't have thought much of these if I hadn't been experiencing some truth about them.

I discovered this one on Lisa Bearnson's blog today:
When everything in life seems to be getting to you, and even the littlest things seem to be plotting against you - "Q-TIP"! Q-TIP means Quit Taking It Personally.

Example: The newspaper boy did not throw your morning news into the mud puddle because he has a grudge against you - he just has bad aim.

I'm not the one who needs to remember Q-TIP, but it's now a part of my vocabulary for those who do.

And this one, which I loved when I first discovered it several years ago, was recently brought back to the forefront of my mind by my friend Elaine, who sends me quotes on a regular basis, 'cause she's a word nerd like me, and she knows I appreciate it. :)
"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'" -- Erma Bombeck


And this one, from one of our favorite movies. Kristi gave Darren this t-shirt today as a just-because gift, and it inspired me to not be defeated, even in the midst of defeat. Even with my arms and legs chopped off and blood spurting forth in a most unbelievable way, my heart and soul can believe that "It's just a flesh wound!"... figuratively speaking, of course. But you knew that.


And finally, this one, from Ferris Bueller's Day Off:
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Two weeks ago, Darren skipped over to Costco and bought me my heart's desire: a Canon Rebel XTi. I've been in love the digital Rebels since they were born several years ago, but they've always been so out of reach. I finally have one, and I couldn't be happier. Really. I LOVE IT. At least, I know I'll love it. Just as soon as I take it out of the box and play with it. Can you believe that I, Stacy Kocur, haven't taken the time to play with this toy yet? ME! I've been too busy being busy. I need to stop and look around. And play with my new camera. Pictures tomorrow! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can teach me the techinques of that camera, cause I can't figure out all the gadgets on it. And since I had to have it.. i can use the full automated feature... sounds like fun!
Karen

Yvonne, Tonya, and Erica said...

Okay I have this camera and can't figure out all the things. I even read the book...but I tell you it takes great pics even on the basic setting!

Stop being so busy and let's get together and play with our cameras! Are you gonna make me beg or maybe bribe you with food.

Anonymous said...

Can I join as well Tonya? I can't figure it out either :(
Karen K

Elaine said...

Another one for you:

Why is it when our art goes well, it's a fluke, but when it goes badly, it's an omen? -- Stephen Pressfield