2006 was a year of heartache and heartbreak, but also one of wit and whimsy, hijinks and hilarity, love and laughter. It's those things I'll remember most. My self-motto, "choose joy", carried me through this year; I've etched it on the walls of my heart and my home. Celebrate with me - my Top Ten Favorite Moments of 2006:
10. Darren surprised me with a new (to us) car on my birthday in June. And I mean SURPRISED me. We hadn't even discussed buying a car - hadn't even dreamed of it yet. I've never been more shocked or more totally in love with him than I was that day!
9. My annual ScrapShare Texas Retreat in November is always one of my favorite events. This year was no exception. Hanging out in jammies all weekend, scrapbooking and chatting and hanging out with good friends whose passion about the art of memory making is as strong as mine is.... I love that!
8.We allowed Dani to begin supervised dating in September. Brian proved to be a perfect first boyfriend, respectfully playing along with our somewhat strict rules, specifically mine. To my amazement, I had a harder time with the whole process than Darren did! Brian got a car in December, and so car dating is just around the corner. It's exciting and terrifying at the same time. On one hand, I'm thrilled for Dani and love visiting my own teen memories while watching her make her own. On the other hand, I remember what it was like to be a teenage girl, and it makes my heart stop realizing that I now have a daughter who's experiencing that stage of life. Wacky, wonderful and wild all the same time. She's just like me, and maybe that's what scares me most. ;
7. I loved this photo session with the boys. On the banks of the Trinity River, they played with and looked out for one another. Aidan relishes his role as The Big Brother, and I adore watching him in that role.
6. Driving on this shelf road in the mountains of Colorado was exhilirating. I was peeing myself with every bump and jostle, but I refused to ride in the passenger seat. I wanted to EXPERIENCE the DRIVE, baby! What a thrill!
5. Fortress's 10th Anniversary was fantastic. So much anticipation, work, planning... and all so worth it in the end. It's such a blessing to be a part of this incredible ministry, especially when I get to do it with such beautiful friends. I'm the most friend-blessed person I know!
4. Visiting my friends Jenny and James in Minneapolis in March was COLD!! I walked through snow in my Crocs, caught snowflakes on my tongue, and walked out on a frozen lake. Don't ask my why, but I got the hugest THRILL out of that. I was like a little kid. All I needed was a sled and a hill. Maybe next time! :)
3. On our family vacation to Colorado in July, we tried several times to take photos of us all wearing our Ira Hays wristbands. (see the link in my sidebar). This one was my favorite - overlooking the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
2. In January, I organized the first-ever Fortress Scrapbooking Ministry retreat. The money didn't come through until the last minute, but as He always does, God provided and we had a wonderful WONDERFUL weekend away from the city. The ladies who participate in the ministry spent the weekend in comfy beds, with hot meals prepared and served and cleaned up for them, with goodie bags full of scrapbooking gifts, and with unlimited cropping time. We laughed 'til our sides ached and grew so close that weekend. My heart was full to bursting when it was over. Our 2nd Annual is coming up in just a few weeks. Again, all the needed money hasn't come through yet, but I'm confident that God will provide somehow. We've all got it on our calendars!
1. In late September, Bobbie and her two girls moved in with us temporarily. I loved having them here. Well, okay. Sometimes, I found myself longing for my home back. I'm sorta ashamed to admit that, but there it is. I'm human. But mostly, I loved having them here, and I missed them after they moved into their own apartment. The past three months have solidified new relationships with my neices, especially 13-year-old Brittani, whom I just adore. And Brianna's relationships with the boys grew to new depths. They adore her, and she them. It's been a blessing having Bobbie and the girls here with us. Definitely, the highlight of my year.
Happy New Year! May enjoy all the little things that 2007 has to offer. :D
As we celebrate the dawn of a new year, let's take a moment to look back over the last twelve months. We're going to celebrate the little things by counting down the Top Ten favorite moments of your year. Use photos if you can, but if not, paint word pictured telling us why these moments meant so much to you. Have fun looking back!