Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Dinner In

I'm playing a game with myself... planning meals and figuring out what each one costs to put on the table, and then comparing it to what it would've cost for us to eat the same thing out.

Last week, we had fettucine alfredo with chicken and broccoli, cheesy bread, and salad. The whole meal cost me $14 for 5 of us, with leftovers. Tell me where you can eat the same thing at a restaurant and get out for less for ONE. At our Italian standby down the street, Macaroni Grill, Fettucine Alfredo will cost you $9.99 for the entree. Without chicken. Salad extra.

Tonight, we had pork chops, german potatoes, green beans and crescent rolls. $12. SIX of us ate. Yum!!

German Potatoes are Dani's favorite side dish in the world. We got the recipe from our dear friend Michelle, aka Grammy. I don't measure anything when I make it, but tonight we sorta paid attention to what we used and how much, 'cause I was teaching Dani how to make it herself.

Here ya go:

German Potatoes

  • 6-8 small red potatoes, cut in 4ths and boiled for 15 minutes
  • Several thick slices of onion, cooked in butter until clear
  • To cooked onions, add 1/2 cup brown sugar,
  • 1/4 cup bacon pieces (the real kind, not Bac-Os),
  • and 1/4 or so of cider vinegar. (I've also used rice vinegar and salad vinegar.)
Add potatoes and stir until potatoes are all coated. Let simmer until all liquid is evaporated. The potatoes should be coated in a glaze. Add more vinegar if needed. Serve warm. YUM!!



One of our favorite house rules is this: whoever cooks doesn't have to clean up! Dani joined the cooking rotation a couple of years ago. Last night she made Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Fiesta Rice (a Lipton mix), and refried beans. Six of us ate for next to nothin'.... definitely cheaper than we could've eaten at Taco Bell.

Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole

  • 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped (I usually brown 2 boneless chicken breasts, then boil in low water until done, then cut them into bite-sized chunks)
  • 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup grated cheddar jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 can chopped green chilies
  • 1 dozen corn tortillas, cut into small pieces
Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Put in a greased 9x13 casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I'm starting to love home-cooking again, after being on a lazy meal/fast food kick all summer. Except when it's my turn to clean the kitchen. ;)

4 comments:

CyndiAKADisneyqueen said...

That's why c`ooking is such a problem for me. I wouldn't mind the cooking if someone else cleaned. (lol)

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Thanks for the great recipes. I think we might try the German potatoes tonight. :)

agent713 said...

Mmm mmm! I finally made this last night. Delicious! I did dishes too. Yeah me! LOL
~Heidi

Jayne said...

Funny you are doing this because I started to do it to and I am cooking a lot more becasue of it! :)